Akron Children’s Hospital is one of the largest independent pediatric hospitals in the U.S., and ranked among the best children’s hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. Our dedicated staff serves nearly 900,000 patient visits per year through our 2 hospital campuses and a large network of locations offering primary and specialty care.
We are leading the way to healthier futures for children and communities through expert medical care, research, and prevention and wellness programs. As a teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University and other universities, we train new generations of pediatricians, specialists, nurses and pharmacists every year.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
The Health Information Associate greets and assists customers, walking in or via phone and provides information on how to obtain copies of medical records.
1. Greets and assists customers, walking in or via phone and provides information on how to obtain copies of medical records.
2. Processes routine patient care and STAT release of information requests for patients, providers, and business office in accordance with Akron Children’s policies and guidelines, federal regulations [HIPAA] and state laws.
3. Assists release of information staff with other types of requests.
4. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of state/federal laws and regulations and Akron Children's Hospital policies and procedures pertaining to the release of protected health information [PHI].
5. Coordinates department service calls, and ordering supplies, forms, equipment, etc. Supports transcription, including monitoring operative report completion.
6. Protects patient privacy by maintaining confidentiality in all phases of release of all PHI.
7. Other duties as required.
1. 25 WPM typing required.
2. Completion of medical terminology course preferred, knowledge of medical terminology and ADA/ICD-CM coding acceptable.
3. Computer literacy including excel and Microsoft word required.
4. Excellent communications, customer service, problem solving, organizational skills and multi-tasking are essential.
5. Ability to work with others or independently on routine tasks, to follow written and oral instructions, referring special problems or unusual situations to the appropriate supervisor.
6. Ability to provide and promote professional, efficient and congenial customer service through all communication and interaction with patients.
Education and Experience
1. Education: High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
2. Certification: None.
3. Years of relevant experience: Minimum of 3 years experience in Patient Access, Patient Accounts, or Customer Service and knowledge of the revenue cycle preferably in a dental or medical setting.
4. Years of experience supervising: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: