Akron Children’s Hospital is one of the largest independent pediatric hospitals in the U.S., and ranked among the best children’s hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. Our dedicated staff serves nearly 900,000 patient visits per year through our 2 hospital campuses and a large network of locations offering primary and specialty care.
We are leading the way to healthier futures for children and communities through expert medical care, research, and prevention and wellness programs. As a teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University and other universities, we train new generations of pediatricians, specialists, nurses and pharmacists every year.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
Days / Required to work one late evening a week until 7:00pm
The Substance Use and Mental Health Therapist is proficient in applying graduate-level counseling skills to the diagnostic assessment of individuals, as well as individual therapy. The Mental Health Therapist is also proficient in care coordination/case management.
- Conducts initial patient comprehensive substance use and mental health psychosocial assessment, including the patient and family.
- Conducts individual therapy sessions utilizing Cognitive Behavior Therapy and other evidenced based practices such as Motivational Interviewing to treatment patients with co-occurring substance use and mental health disorders. Includes family in therapy sessions and provides behavior modification techniques as needed.
- Communicates with staff regarding assessment, treatment and interdisciplinary care plan through case consultation and documentation.
- Is proficient and timely in documentation.
- Provides case management to collaborate with community and hospital resources as needed.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care for the physical, psychological, social, educational, and safety needs of the patients served regardless of age.
- Other duties as required.
- Experience in EPIC, or similar electronic medical records system is preferred.
- Experience working with all levels within an organization is required.
- Experience in healthcare is preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software is required.
Education and Experience
- Education: Master’s Degree in Social Work, a Master’s Degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, or A Master’s Degree in Marriage & Family Therapy is required as well as a chemical dependency license such as LCDC II, LCDC III or LICDC.
- Certification: Licensed Independent Social Worker or Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor is required. Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor is required.
- Years of relevant experience: 3 to 5 years is preferred.
- Years of experience supervising: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: