Akron Children’s Hospital is one of the largest independent pediatric hospitals in the U.S., and ranked among the best children’s hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. Our dedicated staff serves nearly 900,000 patient visits per year through our 2 hospital campuses and a large network of locations offering primary and specialty care.
We are leading the way to healthier futures for children and communities through expert medical care, research, and prevention and wellness programs. As a teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University and other universities, we train new generations of pediatricians, specialists, nurses and pharmacists every year.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
The Medical Assistant assists in delivering individual care for a group of patients under the supervision of a licensed nurse.
1. The Medical Assistant actively interfaces with patients and families of Akron Children’s Hospital and Pediatric offices.
2. Assists in patient / family education within their own capabilities and under the direction of a licensed nurse.
3. Collects data that contributes to the assessment and evaluation of individualized care and needs of assigned patients, including discharge plans, under the direction of the licensed nurse.
4. Provides direct care (i.e.-vital signs, transporting to other departments) or other care to patients according to Hospital policy and procedure as delegated by and under the supervision of the licensed nurse.
5. Accurately communicates patient findings and pertinent information to the licensed nurse utilizing appropriate communication/documentation processes (e.g. SBAR) and reports patient complaints and/or signs of distress/pain promptly to the nurse responsible for the patient.
6. Able to prioritize and execute tasks for the assigned patients in a timely and efficient manner under the direction of the licensed nurse.
7. Documentation of care within the EPIC system will be completed in a precise, accurate manner abiding by established guidelines for charting.
8. Follows safety policies and procedures in the delivery of care to assure a safe environment for patients, families and other staff members.
9. Accurately collects, processes and submits laboratory specimens and may perform phlebotomy.
10. Completes all assignments during scheduled working hours.
11. Participates in the educational -offerings of the department and/or nursing unit.
12. Medical Assistant may be temporarily assigned to an area throughout Akron Children’s Hospital, based on patient needs requiring similar knowledge and skill.
13. Other duties as assigned.
1. Experience in phlebotomy is preferred.
2. Knowledge of and experience in medical terminology is required.
3. Experience working in a healthcare environment is preferred.
4. Proficiency working in - Microsoft Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software is required.
5. Experience working in electronic charting software (e.g. EPIC) or similar software is preferred.
Education and Experience
1. Education: High School Diploma or equivalent is required;
2. Completion of state approved Medical Assistant Program, EMT, or Paramedic Program is required.
3. Certification: Basic Life Saving (BLS) training from the American Heart Association is required;
4. Phlebotomy certification is -preferred.
5. Years of relevant experience: 0 to 2 years.
6. Years of experience supervising: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: