Akron Children’s Hospital is one of the largest independent pediatric hospitals in the U.S., and ranked among the best children’s hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. Our dedicated staff serves nearly 900,000 patient visits per year through our 2 hospital campuses and a large network of locations offering primary and specialty care.
We are leading the way to healthier futures for children and communities through expert medical care, research, and prevention and wellness programs. As a teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University and other universities, we train new generations of pediatricians, specialists, nurses and pharmacists every year.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
40 Hours Per Week
The Patient Service Representative II is responsible for a series of functions including but not limited to the following:
• Maintain the integrity of patient demographic information;
• Maintain patient insurance and billing information and execute registration and billing functions;
• Schedule patient appointments;
• Perform patient arrival and departure functions;
• Execute point-of-service activities including visit preparation, co-payment collection and patient tracking
• Develop, participate in or lead process improvement projects, community benefit activities or other departmental initiatives.
1. Provide for smooth running of office by setting and revising priorities based on workload and anticipating needs and deadlines.
2. Utilize administrative skills and front line knowledge to support projects, outreach activities and division initiatives.
3. Create written communications for patients, projects, patient education and outreach events in a timely and accurate manner.
4. Greet all patients and patient families in a polite and respectful manner.
5. Responsible for the overall appearance of the department.
6. Follow through on routine tasks and general office duties as assigned (i.e. faxing, copying, filing, mailings and promptly answering telephones and voicemail messages).Maintain appointment calendars for physicians and schedule patient visits or other diagnostic testing utilizing hospital procedures and resources.
7. Coordinates staff and patient/family schedules to support improvement and outreach activities.
8. Develop and maintain positive relationship with patients and families via prompt and caring response to questions, requests, etc.
9. Knowledge of health insurance and managed care requirements with regard to referrals and diagnostic tests, including accurate and timely completion/submission of forms for the various insurance companies.
10. Participate in cross coverage efforts with other members of the department, as needed.
11. Other duties as assigned
1. Working knowledge of computerized appointment scheduling system, patient billing, insurance processing, and other related office functions.
2. Knowledge of medical terminology and/or CPT/ICD-CM coding preferred.
3. Excellent communication and organizational skills are essential.
4. Ability to multi-task.
5. Ability to perform basic math sufficient to process insurance co-pays.
6. Working knowledge of PC Window applications sufficient to input and retrieve data as measured by experience or testing.
7.Minimum of 25 wpm typing required.
Education and Experience
1. Education: High school diploma or equivalent and a minimum of two (2) years relevant experience or Associates degree and 1 year of relevant experience.
2. Years of relevant experience: General office experience or successful completion of a job-related training program may offset the experience requirement.
3. Years of experience supervising: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: