Akron Children’s Hospital is one of the largest independent pediatric hospitals in the U.S., and ranked among the best children’s hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. Our dedicated staff serves nearly 900,000 patient visits per year through our 2 hospital campuses and a large network of locations offering primary and specialty care.
We are leading the way to healthier futures for children and communities through expert medical care, research, and prevention and wellness programs. As a teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University and other universities, we train new generations of pediatricians, specialists, nurses and pharmacists every year.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
This is a Float position to the following locations: Beachwood, Boston Heights, Mansfield, Medina, New Philadelphia, North Canton, Norwalk and Wooster.
'The Patient Service Representative II – Medical Assistant provides a comprehensive set of business, financial and appointment-related services including master patient index integrity [demographics].
1. Provide for smooth running of office by setting and revising priorities based on workload and anticipating needs and deadlines.
2. Follows through on routine tasks and general office duties, i.e., faxing, copying, filing, mailings, promptly returning phone calls, etc.
3. Schedules patient visits or other diagnostic testing utilizing hospital procedures and resources.
4. Develops and maintains positive relationship with patients and families via prompt and caring response to questions, requests, etc.
5. Manages third-party payors and collection of co-pays.
6. Performs point-of-service activities [visit preparation, co-pay collection, patient tracking and other duties] as assigned under the direction of the Practice Manager.
7. Participates in cross coverage efforts with other secretaries.
8. Works under the supervision and direction of a Physician or a licensed nurse, providing specific nursing care to designated patients.
9. Prepares patients for examination; takes and records vital signs; performs phlebotomy as needed; administers medications as directed by the physician according to policy and procedure
10. Cleans and prepares exam rooms.
11. Other duties as required.
1. Working knowledge of computerized appointment scheduling system, patient billing, insurance claim processing and other office related functions.Knowledge of and experience in medical terminology and/or CPT-ICD-CM coding is preferred.
2. Excellent interpersonal skills to communicate effectively via telephone or face-to-face with patients, patient families, physicians and other staff members within the facility.Excellent organizational skills with the ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks and coordinate their completion in a timely and accurate manner.
3. Experience working in a healthcare environment is preferred.
4. Ability to type a minimum of 35 words per minute (wpm) is required.
5. Experience working in electronic charting software (e.g. EPIC) or similar software is preferred.
6. Proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Excel, Word) or similar software is required.
Education and Experience
1. Education: High School Diploma or equivalent is required; Associate’s degree in related field is preferred.
2. Certification: Completion of state approved Medical Assistant Program, EMT or Paramedic Program is required;
3. Certification: Basic Life Saving (BLS) certification from the American Heart Association is required.
4. Phlebotomy certification is preferred.
5. Years of relevant experience: Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
6. Years of experience supervising: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: