Akron Children’s Hospital is one of the largest independent pediatric hospitals in the U.S., and ranked among the best children’s hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. Our dedicated staff serves nearly 900,000 patient visits per year through our 2 hospital campuses and a large network of locations offering primary and specialty care.
We are leading the way to healthier futures for children and communities through expert medical care, research, and prevention and wellness programs. As a teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University and other universities, we train new generations of pediatricians, specialists, nurses and pharmacists every year.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
Some evenings and weekends required
The Child Life Specialist plans and implements comprehensive Child Life services.
1. Plans and implements comprehensive Child Life services.
2. Provides preparation and facilitates adaptive coping strategies for patients and families for medical procedures and other health care experiences.
3. Provides education and emotional support to patients and families; advocate and communicate patients’/families’ needs to multi-disciplinary staff.
4. Provides education related to child development and impact of hospitalization.
5. Supervises and trains students and volunteers.
6. Perform other related miscellaneous duties as assigned.
7. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care for the physical, psych/social, educational, and safety needs of the patients served regardless of age.
8. Other duties as required.
1. Experience in a clinical setting as a Child Life Specialist is preferred.
2. Experience working with all levels within an organization is required.
3. Experience in healthcare is preferred.
4. Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software is required. Epic software or similar EMR software is required.
Education and Experience
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree in Child Development, Child Life specialization, or related field is required; Master’s degree is preferred.
2. Certification: Certified Child Life Specialist within one year of employment is required. Current Health Care Provider BLS training is required.
3. Years of relevant experience: 0 to 2 years is preferred.
4. Years of experience supervising: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: