Akron Children’s Hospital is one of the largest independent pediatric hospitals in the U.S., and ranked among the best children’s hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. Our dedicated staff serves nearly 900,000 patient visits per year through our 2 hospital campuses and a large network of locations offering primary and specialty care.
We are leading the way to healthier futures for children and communities through expert medical care, research, and prevention and wellness programs. As a teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University and other universities, we train new generations of pediatricians, specialists, nurses and pharmacists every year.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
The Senior Benefits Specialist is responsible for the daily administration of the individual discipline, including areas of benefits compliance, retirement, and leaves of absence.
1. Responsible for the retiree health and pension programs, both Defined Benefit (DB) and Defined Contribution (DC); assures the integrity of retirement/pension data and maintains the HRIS system for retiree and terminated vested companies; ensures that plan documents, SPDs, and forms are administered in compliance with plan provisions; oversees Retiree Open Enrollment.
2. Responsible for FMLA, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability and all other leave types, and the Unemployment Compensation process; advises managers on Attendance and Leave of Absence Policy issues and Unemployment hearings; works directly with employee health, hospital legal counsel, and the employee relations manager to identify employees with return to work issues and/or employees that should be placed on a leave of absence.
3. Assures legal and operational benefit plan compliance with all applicable federal and state laws, regulatory agencies (including JCAHO), and other governing bodies; responsible for the creation, review, and execution of benefits contracts, business associate agreements, and other agreements to ensure legal compliance and minimization of legal and financial risk to the hospital.
4. Other duties as required.
1. Experience in administering employee retirement and pension programs, including 403(b), 401(a), and defined benefit plans.
2. Experience in employee benefit plan compliance is required.
3. Experience working with all levels within an organization is preferred.
4. Experience in healthcare is preferred.
5. Advanced Excel skills are required. Infor and S3 HRIS experience is preferred.
Education and Experience
1. Education: Associate’s degree in Business Administration or related field is required; Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
2. Certification: Certified Employee Benefits Specialist [CEBS] is preferred.
3. Years of experience: 5 to 7 years is required.
4. Years of experience supervising: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: