Akron Children's Hospital Careers
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist
Shift Information: Evening Job
Akron Children’s Hospital is one of the largest pediatric hospitals in the U.S., and ranked among the best children’s hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. Our dedicated staff handles nearly 800,000 patient visits per year through our 2 hospital campuses and a large network of locations offering primary and specialty care.
We are leading the way to healthier futures for children and communities through expert medical care, research, and prevention and wellness programs. As a teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University and other universities, we train new generations of pediatricians, specialists, nurses and pharmacists every year.
Akron Children’s Hospital is dedicated to improving the health of children through outstanding quality patient care, education, advocacy, community service and research.
Akron Children’s Hospital is committed to remaining an independent, community-governed organization because we believe this enables us to best achieve our mission and vision and preserve our unique culture. Akron Children’s Hospital will be an innovative leader in improving child health and providing high quality care.
1. To treat every child as we would our own
2. To treat others as we would like to be treated
3. To turn no child away for any reason
We are hiring a Clinical Pharmacy Specialist to join our team!
· Evaluate and review patient drug regimens
· Monitor effects of drug therapy
· Educate and counsel patients on appropriate drug use
· Provide drug education to nurses, physicians, and other members of the healthcare team
· Code Blue and Trauma Response; prepare medications for administration to patients
· Participate in research activities
Department Specific Criteria
· Participate in patient care rounds and provides input on drug therapy
· Identify, research and resolve medication use related problems
o Make recommendations for avoidance, prevention and treatment to Licensed Independent Practitioners
· Evaluate patient response to drug therapy
o Recommend drug of choice
o Remove ineffective or unnecessary drug therapy
o Adjust dosage based on lab values
o Correct significant drug-drug, drug-disease, or drug-food interactions
· Recommend adjustments in drug therapy based on changes in the patient’s condition
Department Specific Criteria (continued)
· Evaluate drug therapy orders for appropriateness of dose, route, interval, schedule and duration
· Perform medication reconciliation
· Perform the duties of a staff pharmacist during times of critical workload
Opening: Full time – Afternoon Shift: 5 -8 hour days
· Schedule may be adjusted based on business-needs of the hospital or department
· Doctor of Pharmacy Degree required
· PGY1 and PGY2 Residency strongly preferred
· Ohio Pharmacist License required
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: