Akron Children's Hospital Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Research Scientist- Vision Science
The Staff Scientist functions as an independent researcher and is responsible for planning, conducting and directing independently created research or collaborative projects which result in successful presentation and publication of their data. The Staff Scientist assists other science and clinical staff within the Vision Center with their research projects. All research projects and procedures are in compliance with appropriate institutional and non-institutional laws and regulations, e.g., FDA regulations, 510(k) guidelines, Code of Federal Regulations, etc. The Staff Scientist is expected to procure funding to support their independent research activities within the Vision Center.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Develops a line of independent research in a select area of vision science.
· Procures funding to support their independent research activities within the Vision Center and the Rebecca D. Considine Research Institute (RDCRI).
· Oversees, supervises and otherwise assists the Vision Center staff with their research projects.
· Oversees, supervises and otherwise assists Vision Center staff with collection and interpretation of electrophysiological data obtained during routine patient evaluation.
· Supervises scientific data collection and analyses for research project(s) requiring independent interpretation of complex research data.
· Exercises discretion and independent judgment to develop methods and procedures for operation of complex scientific/ophthalmic equipment.
· Contributes to research so as to merit serving as presenter, author, or co-author on research publications, etc.
· Assists with science education of staff, students, residents, and fellows.
· Maintains open communication between the Vision Center, RDCRI and Hospital Administration.
· Actively participates in quality improvement and assurance activities in conformity with the Performance Improvement Programs and other such programs or efforts initiated from time to time at Akron Children's Hospital.
· Provides services to all patients regardless of ability to pay or source or type of medical coverage in accordance with Children's policies and procedures.
· Complies with all applicable accreditation and regulatory requirements and abide by all policies and procedures of Akron Children's Hospital.
· Performs other duties and meets other qualifications as are reasonably specified by Akron Children’s Hospital from time to time.
· Experience in research activities including, but not limited to, hypothesis generation, protocol development, human subjects requirements, and data collection and analysis with a record of publications and presentations.
· Post-doctoral training in vision science or related field.
· Proficiency in modern computing and software use, e.g., Matlab, Linux, MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint].
Education and Experience
· Education: Doctoral (PhD) degree.
· Post-doctoral training in vision science.
· The Scientist will have access to the following in order to facilitate their research activities; private office space, full clinical examination areas, electrophysiological testing equipment (ERG, VEP, OCT, Eye Movement Recordings), Visual Field Testing, Photography, Behavioral Vision Testing, CRI and institutional IRB support.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift, walk, stand, sit, bend, reach with hands and arms, climb, push/pull, use hands, and see, hear and speak.
· The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
· This position is performed in an office setting, five days a week with typical work hours being 8.00a through 5.00p.