Akron Children's Hospital Careers
Exciting new opportunity for a Pathologists’ Assistant to join our growing team to meet our service needs. New graduates are welcome to apply.
Primary duties include:
· Performs daily standard and specialized procedures for preparation, gross description, and dissection of pediatric surgical tissue as well as autopsy procedures for processing under supervision of staff pathologists.
· Assures appropriate specimen accessioning and prepares tissue for histologic processing. Operates and maintains the morgue/grossing room in accordance with standard operating procedures.
· Triages specimens such as blood, tissue, and toxicological material for ancillary studies and for quality and research protocols.
· Utilizes photography including acquisition, processing, and archiving using digital imaging resources.
· Assists histotechnologists with processing responsibilities.
· Occasionally provides instruction for residents and lab personnel.
· Assures proper maintenance of equipment, adequate supplies, and cleanliness of work environment.
· Provides administrative and managerial function as appropriate.
Bachelor’s degree required and successful completion of Pathologists' Assistant Master’s degree with certification or eligibility for pathology assistant certification by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP).
If no ASCP certification at time of hire, it must be completed within 12 months from the start date.
Ability to perform surgical grossing skills as outlined for the position summary required.
Knowledge and experience with personal computers including word processing, and ability to utilize lab information systems (LIS) required.
Interpersonal and communication skills needed for interaction with all members of the healthcare team.
Additional experience or interest in quality/performance improvement, billing/coding, or laboratory safety preferred.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more:http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf