Akron Children's Hospital Careers
Infection Prevention Specialist
The Infection Prevention Specialist is an entry level position designed for the novice infection preventionist. This position is for an RN or MT to learn the field of infection control and epidemiology.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in mock surveys and compliance audits
- Participate in audits of high-level disinfection (outside of Sterile Processing Department)
- Participate in monitoring of Sterilization Process (SPD)
- Performs independent hand hygiene observations for infection control, offers just in-time coaching/education, and reports findings to infection control team for monthly reports.
- Performs independent environmental cleaning observations for infection control, offers just in-time coaching/education to EVS staff, and reports findings back to infection control team for monthly reports.
- Performs independent isolation observations for infection control, offers just in-time coaching/education to staff on PPE and/or correct use of isolation precautions, and reports findings to infection control team for monthly reports.
- Surveillance for hospital-acquired infections (HAI) and Communicable Diseases according to Ohio Administrative Code Chapter 3701-3.
- Audit and teach hand hygiene classes for hand hygiene coaches on scheduled basis. Review hand hygiene data monthly for units/departments to collaborate on improvement work.
- Participate in Communicable Disease Exposure Investigations and Outbreaks.
- Audit and teach Nurse Residency ASCEND education classes on scheduled basis.
- Audit and teach staff and provider education classes as needed.
- Communicate with outside agencies on a variety issues, such as but not limited to; communicable disease reporting.
- Maintain timely and proper documentation.
- Resource for infection control concerns from; staff, outside agencies, patients, families, and visitors.
- Other duties as required.
Technical Expertise Requirements
- Experience with Word Documents or similar software is preferred, such as but not limited to: Word, Excel, Power Point
- Experience in use of databases is preferred, such as but not limited to: RedCap for example.
- Experience working with all levels within an organization is required.
Education and Experience Requirements
Preferred Qualifications: Experience working with A3 projects, memberships to professional organizations, experience working on professional committees and organizational membership groups.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Nursing or Lab Medical Technology or higher required or Master’s degree in Public Health.
- Certification: Certification in Infection Control (CIC) is required within 2 years from date of hire to retain position. Must have CIC test scheduled at 18 month mark in order to test and re-test if needed, by 2 year anniversary date
- 2 years of hospital experience required or equivalent.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: