Akron Children's Hospital Careers
Supervisor of Access (Call Center)
Full time, Monday-Friday
The Patient Access Supervisor promotes a team environment supportive of all needs of the department, including Registration, Scheduling, Insurance Verification and referral processing. In this role, the Supervisor will work with all members of the team, ensuring all are aware and trained to provide an outstanding first impression to all customers of Akron Children's Hospital. Completes needed assessment of customer concerns, analyzing, resolving, and/or escalating challenging customer concerns. As a leader, you will directly oversee staff and successfully incorporate objectives, opportunities and resources to ensure work is equivalent to and exceeds productivity, quality and accuracy standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and deploys stellar customer service metrics. Drives a culture that is both team and customer-oriented.
- Interviews and screens potential employees using Targeted Selection and makes recommendations to department Manager or Director to aid in filling vacant positions.
- Ensures that training of new employees is completed as well as identifies on-going continuing education needs of existing employees
- Conducts audits and creates and distributes strategic statistical reports.
- Informs and educates staff of policy changes within the department via huddles, staff meetings and written communication.
- Completes performance evaluations/goal setting for new employees 30/60/90 day as well as annual evaluations. Participates with Manager in evaluation of employees who fall below expectations.
- Performs other back-up duties within the department, and assists in the development of policy and/or procedure updates and workflows as needed.
- Able to institute corrective actions, verbal and written pursuant to Akron Children's policy.
- Coordinates staffing schedule including time away to ensure adequate departmental coverage and maintains functional knowledge of operational areas and is able to assist in staffing as needed.
- Is transparent and will work with departmental leadership in resolving workflow challenges in a timely manner. Maintains scheduling/registration accuracy of 95%. Assists with annual budget process. Maintains a clean and organized work area. Will be cross-trained to perform other duties as assigned.
- Other duties as required.
- Demonstrated ability to use PCs (and toggle between multiple applications), MS Office, and general office equipment (i.e. printers, scanners, copy machine, multi-line phone, FAX machine, etc.) required.
- Excellent keyboarding/data entry skills required.
- Organizational skills, with attention to detail required
- Notable client service, communication and relationship building skills required.
- Ability to function independently and as a team player in a fast-paced environment required.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills and excellent spelling.
- Professional demeanor required.
- Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software is required.
Education and Experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in patient registration, scheduling, banking, office, or related medical field using computers required.
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology and patient scheduling experience required.
- Supervisory, leadership, coaching and/or training experience required.
- Must demonstrate the ability to use tact and diplomacy in dealing with others.
- A bachelor’s degree will be accepted in lieu of 1 year of work experience.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Degree or progress towards degree preferred.
- Medical Terminology preferred.
- Up-to-date CHAA - (CHAA is a National Association of Healthcare Access certification for Healthcare Access Associates) or related medical certification preferred.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: