Akron Children's Hospital Careers
Facilities Maintenance Technician
Shift Information: Evening Job
40 hours/week: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 2:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
The Facilities Maintenance Technician provides our on-campus Facilities with preventative, re-active and emergency maintenance on a routine basis. The Facilities Maintenance Technician ensures that all facilities are maintained in a safe and effective manner.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Adds value as a key member of the facilities maintenance team; understands regulatory compliance, all forms of maintenance strategies and the key components of excellent customer service.
- Works in constant coordination with then entire Facilities Maintenance team as well as the Regional Facilities Maintenance team (on and off-campus) to provide service to our customers at both on and off-site locations.
- Completes and appropriately documents all work assigned to Facilities Maintenance crew.
- Provides continuous support to the Facilities Maintenance Operations Manager, Safety Team and the Facilities Director.
- Provides backup coverage to other Facilities Maintenance Technicians as needed or required.
- Provides staff and management updates when needed.
- Communicates Engineering/Maintenance issues to both internal and external hospital departments and contacts.
- Assists in the review, oversite and execution of projects to be performed by Facilities Maintenance Technicians and/or outside vendors.
- Works in coordination with the Planning, Design and Construction Staff and external contractors on an as-needed basis.
- Performs preventive and breakdown maintenance.
- Performs assigned Environment of Care inspections and routine regulatory physical checks such as exit/emergency light inspections, fire extinguishers inspections and generator runs as required and/ as assigned.
- Participates in on-going training and education as required and assigned.
- Follows and enforces Joint Commission and CMS regulations.
- Available for emergency on-call maintenance when needed.
- Other duties as required.
Education and Experience
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Certification: Universal Refrigeration license preferred.
- Years of relevant experience: Minimum of 5 years is required.
Valid driver’s license is required.
Experience in general commercial building maintenance is required.
- Light Carpentry, Finishing, Painting, Door Hardware, Locks/Keying, Signage
Experience with commercial electrical systems.
- 120/208 Volt Required.
- 277/480 Volt Preferred.
Experience with commercial plumbing systems.
- Must be able to assemble, install or repair pipes, fittings or fixtures of heating, water or drainage systems according to specification and applicable codes.
Experience with commercial steam systems (up to 125#).
Experience with commercial HVAC, and refrigeration.
- Must be able to work on compressors, motors, pumps, fans and controls.
- Ability to operate refrigerant recovery equipment, vacuum pumps and service gauges is preferred.
- Must be able to quickly and accurately troubleshoot a wide variety of mechanical equipment.
Building Automation (BAS) experience.
Must be able evaluate emergency situations and determine a safe and appropriate solution to issues as they arise.
- Experience with Lock-Out/Tag-Out is preferred.
- Experience working with all levels within an organization is required.
- Experience with building codes, NFPA, and life safety regulations is preferred.
- Experience in Joint Commission and CMS regulatory bodies is preferred.
- Experience in healthcare is preferred.
- Strong communication, both verbal and written, is required.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills are required.
- Strong ability to work both independently and as a valued team member is required.
- Ability to read blueprints and wiring diagrams are required.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint) or similar software is required. High level of proficiency with CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System) and Building Automation software required.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift, walk, stand, sit, bend, climb, crawl, twist,/turn, reach with hands and arms, climb, push/pull, use hands, and see, hear and speak.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds with assistance.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
- This position is generally performed in a clean and comfortable environment, five days a week with typical work hours being 7.00a through 3.30p; additional or irregular work hours may be required including evenings, weekends and holidays.
Work may take place on job sites where appropriate PPE is required.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: