Akron Children’s Hospital is one of the largest independent pediatric hospitals in the U.S., and ranked among the best children’s hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. Our dedicated staff serves nearly 900,000 patient visits per year through our 2 hospital campuses and a large network of locations offering primary and specialty care.
We are leading the way to healthier futures for children and communities through expert medical care, research, and prevention and wellness programs. As a teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University and other universities, we train new generations of pediatricians, specialists, nurses and pharmacists every year.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
Variable Day Shift
40 Hours per Week
'The Cardiac Sonographer I performs complete non-invasive transthoracic echocardiographic studies
'1. Performs complete non-invasive transthoracic echocardiographic studies, including two-dimensional, M-Mode and Doppler by lab approved protocols without prompting.
2. Assists the physician with transesophageal, intraoperative, contrast, and, if designated, fetal echocardiography.
3. Functions independently and provides applicable data regarding cardiac anatomy and hemodynamics in order to assist the cardiologist in the diagnosis of congenital heart defects on most examinations.
4. Uses a variety of equipment necessary to perform testing.
5. Demonstrates the ability to assess patient status, and identify each patient’s specific age requirements.
6. Is available for call 24 hours a day on a rotational basis after appropriate training/orientation period.
7. Works at remote clinic facilities and is responsible for their own transportation.
8. Acts as a customer service representative for CHMCA by promoting the “Spirit of Service” attitude, exhibiting the attitudes and behaviors that comprise the House Rules regarding greetings courtesy, respect, empathy, communications, privacy, silence, cooperation, appearance, confidentiality, initiative, and anticipation.
9. Other duties as required.
1. Experience as a Cardiac Sonographer trainee is required.
2. Experience in clinical echocardiography performing echocardiograms is required.
3. Experience in echocardiography practice experience with the performance of at least 600 echocardiogram/Doppler exams is required. At least 100 of these examinations should be in children or patients with congenital heart disease is required.
4. Experience interacting with a variety of people and ages in a helpful manner, with understanding of growth and development specific to that age is required.
5. Experience working with all levels within an organization is required.
6. Experience in healthcare is preferred.
7. Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software is required.
Education and Experience
1. Education: Associate’s degree in an allied health profession is required. Bachelor’s degree in sonography, vascular technology or a minor in some aspect of ultrasound which is not CAAHEP accredited to offer echocardiography is preferred.
2. Certification: ARDMS RDCS pediatric registry within 18 months of hire, if candidate has no previous pediatric experience is required. ARDMS RDCS pediatric registry within 6 months of hire for candidate with previous pediatric experience who meets ARDMS criteria is required. An appropriate credential in echocardiography from ARDMS or CCI is required. A credential in pediatric echocardiography is preferred. Successful completion of an ultrasound or CVT program accredited by CAAHEP is required. Basic Life Support Certification is required.
3. Years of relevant experience: 0 to 2 years is preferred.
4. Years of experience supervising: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: