Akron Children’s Hospital is one of the largest independent pediatric hospitals in the U.S., and ranked among the best children’s hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. Our dedicated staff serves nearly 900,000 patient visits per year through our 2 hospital campuses and a large network of locations offering primary and specialty care.
We are leading the way to healthier futures for children and communities through expert medical care, research, and prevention and wellness programs. As a teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University and other universities, we train new generations of pediatricians, specialists, nurses and pharmacists every year.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
*This is a PRN position requiring three weekend shifts a month.*
The Licensed Independent Social Worker/ Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor will work in the Psychiatric Intake Response Center (PIRC), a 24/7 intake center as a member of the PIRC team to triage and assess intake calls received from families and community referral sources and conduct assessments in the Emergency Department.
- Conducts preliminary diagnostic assessment over the telephone to assess the need for services for children and adolescents seeking psychiatric and psychological services.
- Applies crisis intervention skills when indicated and determines formally the need for a referral to the Emergency Department or a more suitable community agency.
- Conducts the face-to-face comprehensive diagnostic assessment in the Emergency Department in order to maximize continuity of care with the family.
- Consults and collaborates with hospital and community professionals and programs in order to provide the most appropriate referral for the client and his/her family.
- Provides competent clinical services to individuals, families, and community partners.
- Develops and communicates individualized treatment plan(s) for patients including psycho-social interventions, referrals to other services, and recommendations for follow-up.
- Other duties as required.
- Clinical experience in child and adolescent diagnostic assessment required.
- Experience in delivering crisis intervention highly preferred.
- Strong listening and communication skills and the ability to work well in an interdisciplinary setting as part of a highly active team.
- Must be certified or become certified within six months of hire date in Non-violence Crisis Intervention by the Crisis Training Institute or an equivalent program.
- Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.] or similar software is required.
Education and Experience
- Education: Master’s Degree in Social Work or Master’s Degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling is required.
- Certification: Licensed Independent Social Worker or Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor is required. Must be certified or become certified within six months of hire date in Non-violence Crisis Intervention by the Crisis Training Institute or an equivalent program.
- Years of relevant experience: 3 to 5 years preferred.
- Years of experience supervising: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: