Akron Children’s Hospital is one of the largest independent pediatric hospitals in the U.S., and ranked among the best children’s hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. Our dedicated staff serves nearly 900,000 patient visits per year through our 2 hospital campuses and a large network of locations offering primary and specialty care.
We are leading the way to healthier futures for children and communities through expert medical care, research, and prevention and wellness programs. As a teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University and other universities, we train new generations of pediatricians, specialists, nurses and pharmacists every year.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
Full Time Afternoon/Evening Shifts, Four 10 hour shifts
$5,000 sign-on bonus for a 2 year commitment
Responsible for the collection, processing and testing of laboratory specimens on all patient types to aid in the diagnosis of disease. Testing of specimens requires knowledge and application of laboratory science techniques, attention to detail and quality control, demonstrated skill with sophisticated testing equipment and computers, as well as trouble-shooting and maintenance skills to maintain accurate functioning of equipment.
1. Performs routine and complex laboratory tests.
2. Operates a variety of instrumentation and equipment in order to assist the physician in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
3. Prioritizes varying test requests.
4. Follow all hospital policies and procedures as well as all laboratory policies and procedures including but not limited to: specimen handling and processing, test analysis, reporting and maintaining records of patient results.
5. Addresses patients and families in an appropriate manner for patient’s age and level of understanding.
6. Reports critical information for physician or caregiver as indicated by policy and within acceptable timeframes.
7. Other duties as required.
1. Experience in clinical laboratory setting including recent experience in multiple laboratory disciplines is preferred
2. Experience with performing high complexity testing is required.
3. Experience working with all levels within an organization is required.
4. Experience in healthcare is preferred.
5. Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software is required.
Education and Experience
1. Education: Associate degree in coursework defined by the American Society for Clinical Pathology [ASCP] is required. Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
2. Certification: Certification or eligibility for certification by ASCP at the Technologist level or grandfather at the Technologist level prior to 2004 is required. Certification obtained within 12 months from the start date in the position is required. Certification through AMT also qualifies staff for this position. Certification must be obtained within 18 months from the start date in the position.
3. Years of relevant experience: 0 to 2 or more years is preferred.
4. Years of experience supervising: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: